The house had been measured, the initial room layouts drawn, discrepancies noted, measurements verified, and layouts adjusted… In other words I’ve been obsessing.
Vickie & Carol had helped me with the measurements during their visit. I had just signed the Compromis de Vente (purchase agreement) the day before their arrival in Paris. Their first full day in Uzerche, I picked up the key and took them to see the house.
After they returned home from their visit I put the measurements to paper & computer and came up with my overall plan for the house.
The interior walls in the main part of the house are all non-bearing walls so no structural changes would be necessary if any of those walls were to be moved.
On the first floor the wall between the WC and the bath area has to come down. I don’t like the idea of leaving the toilet and walking around into the next room to wash my hands. Other than watching out for wiring and the pipes for heating it should be a fairly straightforward task. One can only hope since I plan to do it myself.
There’s a possibility of making a change to one other wall when I add a bathroom to the second floor but that’s a future project and not fully decided at this time. For the rest the only changes to the rooms will be functional.
The electrical work has to be done first, but to determine what changes are required I had to define what adjustments might be made in the overall house plan.
I used the computer layouts then added shapes representing the furniture to be certain that the rooms would work as planned. Then I figured out how many lights, switches, and outlets would be necessary for each room based upon planned usage. (Did I mention that I was obsessing?)
I met with the first electrician to get a devis (cost estimate & work order if later signed). I provided him a blank floor plan that he made notes on as we walked through the house room by room and I told him how each was to be used and what I thought was needed.
He was working on another job that was close in size to mine so he texted a rounded figure for my project based on that estimate. After I recovered from the shock I took a closer look at my layout to see if there were places I could pare down.
The following day I passed the Immobilier (real estate office) on the way to the post office. The woman handling my house came out to tell me that I needed to get my bank info to the Notaire (who handles the legal aspect of the sale).
When I gave the Notaire the information she said that the final papers would be ready to sign on the 18th.
So the original date of 30 December has been bumped up by nearly two weeks. Time to scramble!
Jo recommended an electrician who did some work for her and my neighbor does electrical work also so I’ll be in touch with him. Hopefully their estimates won’t be so high.
In addition to getting electrical work done as soon as possible I have to get some furniture and appliances.
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate having the use of the furniture and appliances in the rental house. But I have learned something while here – that is after using older appliances I definitely want to buy new – and absolutely a new mattress. The rest of the furniture can be used. I think the current owners will be leaving the dining table and chairs in the house along with a couple of other items which will be a huge help if they do.
There will be several shopping trips in the near future.
The first requirements include a refrigerator, washing machine, hot plate and microwave. Anything else will be purchased on an as needed basis. I don’t want to hook up an electric stove until after the wiring has been updated.
The heating in the house should be in working order. I certainly hope so given that they have real winter weather here (as opposed to Southern California).
The plumbing is supposed to work well also.
There’s a LOT of cleaning from top to bottom. Thankfully the current owners have done a good tidy up since I first saw the house.
Then there will be walls to patch after the electrical update, wall paper removal, painting and decorating …
And … And …
Now I have two houses that I have plans for. Both need considerable work, but at least I can live in the newer house while most of the work is being done.
So Plan B still needs a bit more planning, plus some time, even more money and a lot of work to get it finished.
Then I get to start again to finish the original house. – And I thought I was retired.